Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo & Rice page

brianpressman is offline Junior Member

Paleo & Rice

Simple question, if the main point of the Paleo diet is to lose weight and become more lean, how to explain the fact that people in Asia (1/2 the world) eat an average of 1lb of rice a day and do not have the weight problems we do in the West. As you know, rice is a big no no in the Paleo Diet. Yes, I know, obesity is increasing over there, but rice consumption is staying the same. What is increasing is sugar, oil, and dairy consumption (associated with a more western diet).

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    Last edited by brianpressman; 09-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    There was a thread on this less than a month ago, but dont have the link handy. Try using Google to search amd find it. It was a pretty thorough discussion!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Yes, lots of people have an explanation for this. Run a quick forum search. It's a topic that's been hashed out VERY thoroughly, most recently in response to some overenthusiastic forum trolls.

To sum up, people actually living in Asia have a very different lifestyle in terms of their activity levels and overall food intake compared to here. They're also eating rice in combination with meats/fats that blunt the insulin impact of all that carbohydrate. So there's a lot more to it than just "rice or not?"

Same thing with Italy -- people assume they're eating giant plates of pasta, but the average Italian doesn't. Pasta is more of a small side dish there, a handful with a meal. And they walk _everywhere_.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The main goal is to become healthy, and you will likely become leaner as a consequence of that. Starch doesn't necessarily make people fat if they have properly functioning livers and insulin receptors, and it is the omega 6 fats, sugar and gluten grains that tend to do it, not necessarily carbs. But they aren't healthy. They have plenty of diseases and they get old and wither and die before they're 80 years old despite eating no processed food at all. Brown rice has damaging lectins and poor nutrition and white rice has less damaging stuff but still no real nutrition. Perhaps they're suffering from zinc deficiency and can't gain weight. Bottom line is that rice isn't a good food to eat, even if it doesn't necessarily cause imminent death and doom.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    first, i don't believe the point of the paleo or primal diet is to lose weight. for the PB, it's about optimum health and gene expression. plus, rice (wild rice) isn't exactly horrible. but, i think while talking about the southeastern asian culture (i could be off, but i don't think they're downing a pound of rice a day and staying very thin in russia) you've got to take all things into account. how much are they eating? what else are they eating? are they legitimately healthy, or just thin? am i stereotyping at all? it's never going to be about one thing, and one thing only. how much and how healthy are the big questions. you can stay thin eating nothing but ice cream sundaes if you eat small enough amounts, but you damn sure won't be healthy.

better to stick with what has helped humans survive for a few million years.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    The 'point' of the paleo diet is not to lose weight/become more lean in general. IMO 'the point' is to follow a diet that our bodies have evolved (over at least a hundred thousand years--most likely more) to *thrive* on for the best possible gene expression (including the best possible health), and weight loss/leaning out tends to be a side effect of eating in this manner. Some of us come to this kind of diet to lose weight, but there are certainly MANY ways to lose weight--some of which include eating rice. If one can really stick to a low fat, high carb diet with restricted calories, he/she may lose weight, or other calorie restricting diets. Weight watchers, Jenny Craig, Big Fat Loser etc, all of those are methods of losing weight that can work for *some* (maybe only in the short term for many though). Obviously eating paleo or primal is not the only way to lose weight or avoid obesity. Rice is just *not* a paleo/primal food.

I'm not going to get into the Asia vs. Westerners issue--I'm sure others will have more to share. But just wanted to mention that I've not read anyone here say that 'eating rice makes you fat'. It is not a paleo or primal food, as it is a grain, and contains antinutrients, phytates, lectins and a high carb count (high carb counts *can* lend towards weight gain at a certain amount, which primal folks tend to be aware of). There are some folks here who do carb refeeds using starchy carbs like rice and potatoes. (Not exactly 'primal', but it that works for *them*.) If eating rice works for you, eat up! It's just not 'primal' to do so.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    ...because if they didn't they would go hungry.

It's a matter of overnutrition not if rice is good or bad or "primal".

Why eat rice as an empty carb source when we have a much better selection to choose from?

This is a classic Straw Man arguement.

Not too mention both India and China have higher rates of Type II diabetes than the the US.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You guys got it covered! Personally I think of rice as the "least bad" grain and I eat some white rice once in a while with Asian food. To say that "Asians are healthy" is to admit you've never been there.
    The "point" of Paleo is not to lose weight though - that is a basic misunderstanding. The point is to bring your body into its healthiest state. For most Americans, that healthy state involves a lot less fat, usually.

brianpressman is offline Junior Member
    Actually, I didn't say Asian's are more healthy. I said they have less obesity. This is a fact. They also have less things like diabetes but this is changing for the worse. I actually did look up the stats for diabetes. http://www.allcountries.org/ranks/di...try_ranks.html Maybe it is a wrong. Anyways, China is 4.5% while the US is around 13. Maybe i'm looking at the wrong stats or Mr. Chima is talking about total cases as opposed to % of population.

I could have also pointed out that the Japanese people have the highest life expectancy and don't eat a paleo diet. I would assume life expectancy is a pretty good measure of health, but that wasn't my point.

I choose rice and asia because I lived there for many years (and speak 2 aisan languages to boot) and noticed that the Paleo Diet didn't make sense to me as a diet by itself just looking at how those guys ate. Of course changing your diet for the better has lots of benefits. I haven't taken a survey (im sure someone has) but im pretty sure if you asked your average Joe on the street about a diet (as in changing your food intake) more often then not they'd probably tell you the point is to lose weight. Isn't that why weight watchers is called weight watchers? But yeah, of course there are things like cholesterol and blood sugar we all want to change for the better.

I had never heard of a paleo diet until I joined a crossfit and took part in one of the 1 month challenges. Our coach took our picture before/after and the winner of the contest was the one who appeared to lean out the most. Blood work was not drawn nor were personal feelings taken into account. I think everyone makes a good point that the idea of the diet is not just to lose weight. I think the problem might be how the diet is being advertised at Crossfits. Eat lean meat, nuts, veges, fruit, no beans, no rice/pasta/bread, salt.. etc and you body will tend to revert back to a proper weight. You'll also feel better and have more energy for workouts. Anyways, it didn't make sense to me, since again, because all those guys in asia eat lots of rice and they are not fat.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    There was a thread on this less than a month ago, but dont have the link handy. Try using Google to search amd find it. It was a pretty thorough discussion!
    Was it this thread?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-a-lot-of-rice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast