Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So utterly confused! New diagnosis of hypothyroid - Thytrophin pmg and Synthroid?? page

CarenM is offline Junior Member

So utterly confused! New diagnosis of hypothyroid - Thytrophin pmg and Synthroid??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was seeing a DO before my blood was taken. He did some sort of muscle resistance testing which showed I had thyroid issues and gave me iodine and thytrophin PMG. I started feeling better. I had an appointment with an endo to take blood a couple weeks later and didn't want to cancel that appt since I was curious where my numbers were. Turns out my TSH is 7.23. He put me on synthroid. I called my DO today and told him what was going on and he said to stay on the synthroid because the thytrophin pmg wouldn't get my TSH levels down.

Is it ok to take synthroid and iodine and thytrophin PMG together????

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I can't answer that question, as I've never taken thytrophin PMG or iodine.

I would check on iodine, though... low levels of iodine can be ONE symptom of thyroid issues, but it can also make some people's thyroid problems worse. I believe if you have the autoimmune type of thyroid disorder, Hashimoto's, iodine can actually aggravate symptoms. A lab check is really necessary on this point.

Step 1: Get complete thyroid testing. The TSH test alone is not enough to figure out what your thyroid issues are. TSH is a hormone put out by the pituitary gland. It can indicate thyroid problems, but it doesn't give even a semi-complete view of the whole shebang. You need to also get your Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies tested. It will make a BIG difference on how you get treated.

For example, you could have enough T4 in your system ( that's what synthroid is... T4), but... your body needs to convert that T4 into T3 which is the "usable" thyroid hormone. If you're having a conversion problem, then getting more T4 won't help. You need T3 (cytomel is the pharmaceutical version of that).

Also, you may not do as well on synthetic hormones, and do better on a natural dessicated thyroid hormone (like Armour, or Naturethroid). The only way to figure THAT out is by testing it.

By the way, if your endo won't do more testing than just the TSH change doctors. That's the #1 sign of a doctor who is not knowledgeable about thyroid disorders. (most endos are primarily trained and treat diabetes, so this is actually more common in endos than in regular doctors.)

Google about.com and mary shomon as a start to get some good info. Google, "the thyroid book" for another big batch of information on the thyroid and how it works.

I stress this because there are so many different things that can be going on, and leaving it to your doc to decide can leave you 5-10 years from now even worse and feeling like crap and still not getting anywhere. (Trust me, been there, done that.) The more you learn about it NOW and can get on the ball, the easier it will be to get back in order. And the less chance that your thyroid issues will start a waterfall effect that affects the rest of your endocrine system.

If you go to the Groups section on MDA there's a hypothyroid group. Mostly it's just posting of links to articles, but it's a good start.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

CarenM is offline Junior Member
    I did get a full test on the thyroid done. Sorry, I didn't post them

FT4 - .9 ( 0.8-1.8)

FT3 - 2.7 (2.3-4.2)

Grizz is offline Banned
    Caren,
    Please do an "Advanced" search [titles] on this message board for thyroid. There is a lot of GREAT advice already documented.

Bottom line, doctors are not interested in preventing your problem, they simply prescribe drugs to treat the symptoms.
    You will likely find that your blood level is severely Vitamin D deficient, as pointed out in the above threads.

Also spend some quality time here:
    http://drlowe.com/index.htm

Best of health to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-20-2011 at 04:49 AM.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    emmie has been living with it for years and is very knowledgeable. You might send her a PM.

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Have you read this? Mark Sisson's take on it:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/hypothyroid/

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well your t4 is definitely low and your T3 is at the bottom of the range which indicates you're not converting. Since your t4 is so low it might be just because you don't have enough... but something to consider is if you get your t4 in range and you still have lower free t3 that means your conversion process isn't happening. there are lots of reasons for this, some vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Also, did they check you for thyroid antibodies? That would indicate Hashimoto's which you need to treat differently. And reverse T3, which could tell you if you're converting your T4 to RT3 instead of T3... which is a different issue as well.

I agree with doing a search for hypothyroid which will bring up several posts of information. Also in the groups section here there are some links and recommendations that might be of assistance.

One thing to keep in mind is getting as much knowledge as possible will help because thyroid issues are complex, tied into your entire endocrine system, and can have many different causes, things affecting them, and/or treatments. And they are very individual.. what works for me may make you feel worse. So keeping tabs on how you FEEL will be super important.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Your FT4 is at the bottom of it's range (10%). Your FT#3 while also low is at 20%. You did not give the dose of Synthroid you were prescribed. I believe starting low and tweaking is easier on the body. It takes 6-8 weeks for the Synthroid to reach optimal blood levels.

Things you can do to help yourself include.
    1. get at least 200 mcg selenium day
    2. Be careful with goitrogenic foods.-- http://thyroid.about.com/cs/drugdata.../goitrogen.htm
    3. Do not take thyroid meds within 4 hours of calcium or iron.

Is your Synthroid prescribing doctor aware of your iodine and thytropin PMG use? I would not take these things without discussing them with your endo first.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Hypothyroid caused by Chlorine ! Video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJuWLMaoG0

Grizz

MostlyAmused is offline Junior Member

Synthroid vs. Armour Thyroid

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here but I had to add my two cents....I was on synthroid for years and experienced an underlying jitters, almost anxiety until my new doctor changed my prescription to Armour Thyroid. Can't explain it but the difference was significant. Rumor has it that it's hard to find but Costco Pharmacy always seems to be able to fufill my prescription.

Good luck!
    b*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast