Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Severe gastritis last night page

maba is offline Senior Member

I had the worst pain in my upper abdomen (just below my chest) last night. It was a sharp pain with a bloated feeling. I had it for about 3 hours and I woke up my husband and he gave me Zantac (ranitidine hydrochloride) and I felt much better after that. The only other time I've had pain like this was last year when I was traveling and tried to eat as much local fare of the city as I possibly could.

I was 90% primal yesterday. I usually have raw milk w/ my coffee or tea but y'day, I had ultra-pasteurized milk as I'd run out of raw milk. Also, I sampled some brown rice * (just a teeny bit to make sure it was seasoned alright) dish that I was cooking for my husband. Other than that, I was primal the whole day. But I also ate inordinate amount of CO y'day, close to 8-10 TBS. Wonder what part of my diet y'day gave me the symptoms. Have any of you faced these symptoms? Was it after eating any specific food?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

YIKES, maba!!!

Sorry you had to go through that. Are you feeling better today?

Yeah Kuno, I'm feeling better this morning. Thanks for asking. I'm wondering if I should fast today just to rid the body of toxins.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Hmm, I can't imagine a bite of rice would hurt that much, I'd lean towards it being the increased CO for sure. It seems whenever I have an increased day of coconut consumption I have digestive problems too. For example, I bought the artisana coconut butter recently to try it, and had 2 tablespoons that day. Not even 3 hours later I had terrible diarrhea, and the next morning as well. Ouch! But after that first day, I was able to eat it by the tablespoon without the gastric side effect. That happened the first time I tried coconut oil too. Since that doesn't happen to me with increased amounts of animal fats, I'm thinking it's an argument for using rendered fats much more often than CO. I'm sure it was awfully painful, I know it was for me too!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Hannah, you're the second person to report those symptoms today. Katie Carlbaugh mentioned on another thread that she too had the runs after consuming CO/CM. Yeah, it couldn't be the rice since I've had more than that even after turning primal. In Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig, she recommends taking a small amount of CO to start with and then slowly increasing the amount, must be to prevent the severe gastric side effects.

Night 2:

I had it again last night. This time the pain wasn't too bad to begin with but got progressively worse and I ended up taking another Zantac. Didn't feel better immediately, but the pain reduced after some time. I still feel uneasy this morning although there's not much pain. I was 95% primal yesterday (with very little dairy in the form of milk and cheese). I'm finding this very, very disconcerting. The only pain I've ever had in the past is menstrual cramps and DOMS. I'm not happy w/ having had Zantac 2 days in a row, heck, I haven't had even tylenol 2 days in a row in the last year. Any suggestions, insight? I'm trying to eliminate coffee and milk today to see if that helps.

Did you have quite a bit of CO again yesterday? The only times I've had gastric pain for more than one episode was the night/morning I mentioned earlier, and for about a week straight when I was switching to high fat at the very very beginning. Was anything you used a new item or new brand? Maybe you got a bad batch of CO?

You are what you eat,

No, I didn't have any CO yesterday. I had salad w/ EVOO for lunch and for dinner, I had a stuffed omelette at Denny's (the only place that was opnened that late). I wonder if it was the preservatives in the meat they'd used. I've been using this batch of CO for more than 2 weeks and it tastes fabulous, don't think it's a bad batch.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

It took me a while to figure out but the CM that I love so much gives me wicked heartburn/gastritis. I don't have any appreciable side effects with CO though.

I'll have to see what I can find with regards to this coconut products and gastric distress.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Aha! I'll bet the Denny's was using some kind of gross vegetable oil to cook everything in. I had non-breaded wings at a lunch with coworkers a few weeks ago (it was the only even sort of primal option, and I like wings), and my stomach started cramping almost right after I ate them. I'm used to very spicey foods, so the only other culprit I could come up with was the frying oil. I saw the ingredients to the wing sauce and they were pretty benign, nothing that would hurt my stomach like that. It seems like it should be fairly easy to stick with at least low-carb options at restaurants, but we're so good to our bodies now that even the preservatives and inferior cooking oils will cause reactions. I'd bet money that Denny's cooking oil was the problem

You are what you eat,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast