Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk vs Coconut milk vs Almond milk? page

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member

Milk vs Coconut milk vs Almond milk?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I'm pretty confused. I'm trying to lose weight which has not really been happening, and I've been reading all about drop the dairy, drop the dairy, etc.... Now WHY is dairy so fattening? I know its made to fatten baby cows, etc, but why does it do that? Because it has sugar? Because it is inflammatory? combination of both?

If its because it is inflammatory, then what about coconut milk? Coconut milk is extremely inflammatory, much more so than milk, so should I not eat that either?

Almond milk is also bad, right? all those enzyme-inhibitors....

I'm mainly asking the question because I can cut out pretty much all carbs and sugar from my diet, but I need something in my morning coffee. I've been trying to switch to coconut milk, but I don't like it nearly as much as cream or whole milk. Cream in my coffee is the only time I consume dairy, so I'm consuming very very little, is it really impeding my progress?

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    So use milk or half and half or heavy cream. Hell, I do. I used heavy cream at first but switched to half and half recently since it is cheaper. I continue to lose weight. It seems that the 'cut the dairy' mantra is for those who hit a plateau and can't lose with what they are doing, at which point you make whatever little change you can - cutting the dairy, eating no fruit, whatever - to give your body a boost/see what works for you.

Sometimes it seems this forum (or some members of it) over-analyze food. Sometimes you eat because it is good. Cream in my coffee is good. That is all I need to know.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think the main reason you want to exclude milk is because the protein in conventional milk (lactose) is hard for the body to digest because of the pasteurization process which removes lactase (the enzyme needed to properly digest lactose). If you stick to raw milk or raw dairy products you would be a lot better off. Pasteurized milk does show to cause inflammation in many individuals who have lactose and casein intolerance, even people with no known dairy allergies have shown in studies to show a rise in inflammation after consuming dairy. A lot of people in general and on this forum have said that after dropping dairy they lost a lot of puffiness around their body and bloating around the stomach.

I prefer coconut milk over almond milk. Unless you have a specific allergy to coconut I don't see it being too inflammatory. Coconut has many anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties that is normally very good for the gut. It is also filled with medium chained fatty acids which are pretty healthy saturated fats. Coconut milk and oil has been used in traditional diets all around the world most notably southeast Asia for hundreds of years, while cow's milk hasn't. Cow's milk has been used longer in countries where herding is in their culture, like the Swedish and Irish for example. Almond milk isn't too bad but then again it is derived from almonds. Too much nuts in the diet can skew your n3:n6 ratios.

To answer the last part of your question. I don't think whole cream in your morning coffee is a huge issue. But overdoing it with a few glasses of milk and cheese on everything might be a lot if you are really trying to lose weight.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    I don't think coconut milk is inflammatory. I know the Inflammation Factor Rating from nutritiondata.com says it is, but I think that's just because they consider saturated fat to be inherently inflammatory. Coconutresearch.com says that coconut reduces inflammation. I don't know what studies have been done directly on the subject, but I'd be fairly surprised if coconut milk or coconut oil turned out to be inflammatory. Lauric acid is well known to be anti-microbial and anti-fungal.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Post a sample of you daily diet and exercise.
    I'm willing to bet it's not the milk in you coffee that's holding you back.

I typically start the day with just coffee and cream with some stevia, except on the weekends I'll cook 3 eggs and 2 strips of bacon.

I don't usually get hungry till about 1pm then I'll eat some stir-fry veggies made with Brussels sprouts, asparagus, turnip greens, etc. I like to grab random green vegetables that look good at the store for my stir frys. I stir fry it all with a good amount of bacon fat and soy sauce.

I may eat a handful or so almonds as a snack if I get hungry later in the day, I've been trying to cut this out but I feel maybe its better to eat nuts than fruit as a snack.

Dinner I may cook steak or some roast for dinner, I just got a 1/4 of a grass fed cow so I've been experimenting with cooking different cuts of meat. Then I may have some dark chocolate for desert.

Exercise wise, I walk at least 45 min everyday to get to work, I used to run every other day but I've kinda been slacking on running since winters come. I got myself a pull up bar and have been attempting to train myself to do a pull up. I still can't do one yet, but I've been very sore for over the past month attempting to do one. I have to give the pull-up bar a rest for 3-7 days depending on how sore I may get. I haven't been sprinting much, Its been very cold here in chicago so once it warms up I'll be able to go outside and give sprinting a try.

I haven't been measuring my portion sizes, so I really can't give accurate calorie counts.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to completely avoid gluten grains and legumes, the soy sauce has both. Tamari doesn't have wheat. Some people don't mind that it has soy because it's fermented. I've heard a few folks here using coconut aminos as a replacement.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    I haven't been measuring my portion sizes, so I really can't give accurate calorie counts.
    Now you can.
    FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

I don't care what anybody thinks, in a weight loss scenario, caloric intake is relevant.
    Most people underestimate what they take in and it's surprising how fast a little here and there adds up.

Bacon fat.
    Almonds or nuts.
    Dark chocolate.
    Run your portions through fitday - be honest now - and see what you come up with.

okay, I set up a fit day of what I've eaten and will eat today.

Breakfast
    3 mugs of coffee - 7 cal
    Cream, 1 oz - 39 cal

Lunch
    Brussels sprouts, 2 cups - 177 cal
    Bacon Grease, 9 grams - 81 cal
    Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon - 8 cal

Snack
    Almonds, 1/2 cup - 407 cal

Dinner
    New York Strip (I think its cut to 1/4" fat??) 0.5 lb - 429 cal
    butter, 1 pat - 36 cal
    SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Bar, 2 blocks - 148.7 cal

Total Calories = 1,333
    62% fat
    22% protein
    16% carbs
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 03-28-2011 at 05:18 PM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    that looks good mostly, what is your size now and size your trying to become?

hows your organ meat intake? seaweed? oxtail/shank broth??

if i had to critique...too much coffee too many almonds and not enough dinner, IMO. maybe you could eat a well rounded dinner and nix the almonds

personally i would starve on that but i seem to be the one no one agrees with in regards to calorie intake

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast