Thread: Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour page

Donna is offline Junior Member

Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour

Primal Fuel
    I am going to bake some gluten free bread. I found a recipe on a different site that looks good and I later found the same recipe posted on an old thread in the PB recipe forum.

The main flour used in the bread is almond flour, but it also calls for arrowroot flour. I have read that I can substitute tapioca flour for arrowroot flour.

Does primal have a preference for arrowroot vs. tapioca flour? I think the two flours are very similar in calories and carbs.

(Tapioca flour is less expensive. So if it doesnít make any difference, I will probably opt for tapioca.)

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't really make a difference. Go with the tapioca if that is what you have.

Does your recipe call for xanthan gum? I always put in about 1 teaspoon for every cup of flour.

This is my first attempt at making gluten-free bread. I donít have either flours, so I thought I might as well buy the best primal choice. Maybe I should stick with the arrowroot beings that is what the original recipe calls for.

This is the recipe as posted on the PB Recipe Forum: 1 1/2c almond flour, 3/4c arrowroot powder, 1/4 flax meal, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 4 eggs, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp cider vinegar. Bake in 7in loaf pan @ 350 30-35 min. Beautiful golden loaf! (Thread14436-2)

Do you think xanthan gum would improve this recipe? I've heard of it, but to be honest, I don't even know what it is. (I don't bake that often.)

BTW...I just looked at your blog site. And that recipe for A Mans Breakfast looks delicious. A smaller portion for me though. Thatís enough for at least two breakfasts for me. :-)

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for checking out my blog! Ya, that recipe would feed 3 or 4 normal people. Hubby just loads up in the morning. =)

I think the bread recipe looks really yummy. Xanthan gum is to make the bread moist and sticky. You don't need it in the recipe you are doing because of the flax and the egg.

I would love to hear how it turns out.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your recipe for oven fried chicken and acorn squash sounds delicious too. I plan on trying that one this week.

I probably won’t make the bread until next weekend. There is a picture of the bread on Elana’s Pantry website. That is where I first saw the recipe. (Gluten-Free Bread 2.0) I hope mine turns out that nice. I’ve heard most gluten-free that is sold in stores doesn’t taste too good so I thought I would try making my own.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Donna; 04-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.