Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for shoes for Tough Mudder Race page

tejast is offline Junior Member

Suggestion for shoes for Tough Mudder Race

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm doing a Tough Mudder race in October this year. It's a 10 mile obstacle course through mud, water, and trails.

I haven't tried Vibrams, but I'm not sure if those are the best shoe for this kind of race (maybe they are). I guess what I'm looking for is a good shoe for this kind of event -- let me know your thoughts.

- Has to be able to drain water and mud
    - Should work fairly well wet
    - The tread should shed mud and muck

If you all have any ideas, let me know.

By the way . . . you all are an incredible site and community here.

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    my innov8 shoes were amazing in the mud through a wet UK winter. No idea if they're available over there..

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    I did the Warrior Dash last year and used these cheap-o water shoes.
    I'll post the name when I get home.
    I hosed them off after the race & used them the rest of the summer. They are a meshy tenny kind of shoe with an elastic lacing. They have drain holes in the soles. For 20-25 bucks you can't beat 'em! I've been googling like mad to find them but can't at the moment

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    My personal trainer and some clients did the race and I remembered this photo that they posted. So, looks like Vibrams might work.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

rockrunner Guest
    I did a Muddy Buddy race in Vibrams and worked well, I also trail run in Merrell Trail Glove shoes and I think they are even better as long as they fit well. I have run in Inov8 f195's and tried Inov8 190's, the 190's are very good in the mud...there is a new Inov8 model called the Baregrip that is even flatter with big time tread for mud...these are the best choices out there in a flatter kind of shoe.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    i ran tough mudder in austin in january. i wore vibram trek sports. they were great. i'll be wearing them for warrior dash both days this weekend. if you wear vibrams make sure they are the type with a strap so the mud doesn't eat them.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Check out the Inov-8 Bare-Grip 200. I'd really like a pair of these myself for muddier/rougher terrain.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    I just ran the Rugged Maniac this past weekend and couldn't have been happier with the new trail version of the Minimus line from New Balance. They are by the far the greatest shoes I have ever owned for doing anything in. I own some vibrams and while I do love them, the minimus provides and ideal amount of protection and grip for mud races. My girlfriend wore her vibrams for the race and said they were way too slick on the bottom for the amount of mud you'll be dealing with. Just my two cents, I start training for the Tough Mudder in Oct. today and I can't wait!
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    I just ran the Rugged Maniac this past weekend and couldn't have been happier with the new trail version of the Minimus line from New Balance. They are by the far the greatest shoes I have ever owned for doing anything in.
    Agreed. I own and love these shoes as well. I question whether they'd provide enough traction for the Tough Mudder. They probably would. Something with deeper treads (like Inov-8's) might be better, I dunno. Then again, how many shoes can you really own.

+1. NB Trail Minimus are definitely incredible shoes.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I ran the Warrior Dash in Florida this year in my VFF trek sports and they worked well.. no traction issues or anything... I had a friend run in KSOs and he was sliding a bit... I did almost lose one in a mud pit but I just slid the heel back on and kept going... the WD in IL in June I'm running and I'm planning on doing it barefoot. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast