Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy to grow herbs and spices page 2

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    There are varieties of rosemary that do well in colder areas. I had a 5' tall plant in Northern Virginia.
    Depends on your definition of cold. I call anything below 0F cold. We generally see -20F here every year. I don't know of any varieties of rosemary that will tolerate that.

Gordo

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Scallions are pretty easy to grow. We grew a ton of them when I lived in Scotland. Never tried growing leeks though.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I live in SE Texas so what works for me may not work for those further North.

Our temperatures range from 23 degrees in the Winter to around 105 in August/September. What I have found to be the hardiest herbs for this climate are:

Rosemary - my Rosemary bushes are HUGE
    Oregano (Italian)
    Garlic Chives
    Spearmint (OMG, it's taking over!!)
    Basil
    Bay Laurel tree

I have not had much luck with Cilantro, Dill, Thyme, Tarragon or Sage.

Also, if you like Ginger, throw leftover ginger root in the ground and it will grow. The root can get a bit tough, but the leaves are fragrant and are great for seasoning, especially in soups or stews. Fennel grows well here too, but the caterpillars will eat it all. However, so worth it because they turn into beautiful Black Monarch Butterflies.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I always put out a a couple big pot for herbs in the spring. The thyme comes back every year without replanting, I replant seedling of everything else--basil, chives, marjoram, parsley, cilantr--in these huge clay pots and keep in a sunny location. A weekly soaking usually keeps them doing well until it is very hot, then a little more. I've not done lemongrass.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    iirc, certain varieties of onions do quite well in the cold north. i'm told buffalo is a good variety, and apparently green onions are quite hardy. garlic is as well.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Onions are sensitive to day length. You need to be sure to get a variety that's compatible with your latitude.

Gordo

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of herbs and even some spices that taste somewhat lemon-y, and work as a substitute for lemongrass. Lemongrass can also be frozen (freezing screws up the texture, but that's not really what you use lemongrass for most of the time).

Lemongrass grows like a weed where I am, but I'm in the subtropics (it likes the shade under my banana palms).
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Depends on your definition of cold. I call anything below 0F cold. We generally see -20F here every year. I don't know of any varieties of rosemary that will tolerate that.

Gordo
    I agree that is too cold for rosemary!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddibot View Post
    There are lots of herbs and even some spices that taste somewhat lemon-y, and work as a substitute for lemongrass. Lemongrass can also be frozen (freezing screws up the texture, but that's not really what you use lemongrass for most of the time).

Lemongrass grows like a weed where I am, but I'm in the subtropics (it likes the shade under my banana palms).
    You are right; I forgot about lemonbalm, which I grew a few years back.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Basil - easy, needs good sun, at leadt 6 hours, will not overwinter
    Thyme - slooooow growing, will die if overwatered
    Huh. so I shouldn't have planted those two together, with the oregano in the middle? No wonder the basil is the only one still alive!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12