Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for breakfast? No dairy, no egg high protein alternatives page

zsadie is offline Senior Member

What's for breakfast? No dairy, no egg high protein alternatives

Primal Fuel
    My friend and I are not big on eating heavy meat meals for breakfast. This may change in the future, but for now, we need more ideas!

We are looking for no dairy/no egg high protein breakfast alternatives due to allergy reasons. I have a few in mind that I will be trying soon such as bison sausage patties, and cauliflower 'cheese' grits (substitute cheddar cheese with soft goat cheeses). I want to try coconut pancakes without eggs if that's even possible, and I found a recipe for sweet potato pancakes that sounds incredible, but again requires eggs. There is no such thing as a great egg substitute, so what other ingredients can I try?

Also, my friend specifically can't have anything derived from cow's milk including real butter. What is ghee/clarified butter exactly? Is that something she can have possibly?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Just so you know, grits are made from corn... Probably the most anti-primal "food" there is.
    I'm not into eggs either, so I find myself making bacon or sausage. If you don't want a heavy meal, maybe a Larabar or fruit?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    how' about grilled salmon patties/filets over a BAS? Coconut milk over fresh berries, w/ sausage/bacon/steak ect....

Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    Just so you know, grits are made from corn... Probably the most anti-primal "food" there is.
    I'm not into eggs either, so I find myself making bacon or sausage. If you don't want a heavy meal, maybe a Larabar or fruit?
    the recipe I found for Cauliflower Cheese Grits is made from cauliflower with no corn or other grains what-so-ever. The recipe calls for shrimp but I'd like to experiment with salmon or some other protein. She actually loves Larabars and fruit is a constant, but she is getting sick of either and does consume cereal a lot, also getting tired of. I'm freshly starting her on the path to PB eating so she still eats grains (except wheat, gluten, and white flour), she substitutes with spelt and rice mostly which we both hope to wean her off of. She'll have the occasional conventional packaged sausages which she has complained are too greasy, so I plan on making homemade bison sausages today.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    how' about grilled salmon patties/filets over a BAS? Coconut milk over fresh berries, w/ sausage/bacon/steak ect....
    That sounds awesome!

me jane is offline Senior Member
    This morning I made a breakfast smoothie from coconut milk, kefir (skip it if you can't have dairy), protein powder, a few strawberries & blackberries, half an avocado, lettuces & Swiss chard from my garden, plus some spinach. No dairy necessary, no egg, and has 25+ g protein and some fat.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast every morning... if I could not eat eggs... I would just eat twice as much bacon every morning.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Ok, never heard of replacing grits with cauliflower but that sounds pretty good! And goat cheese is always tasty! I have a friend (personal trainer) who is gluten-free but not primal, like yours, and for breakfast she will eat chicken breast mixed in with oatmeal. Sounds kind of weird but she swears by it for protein. Maybe you could try to go a little non-traditional-breakfast if you're not that hungry but want to get some nutrients in? Or do a protein smoothie with berries/almond butter/chocolate/whatever?

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zsadie View Post
    Also, my friend specifically can't have anything derived from cow's milk including real butter. What is ghee/clarified butter exactly? Is that something she can have possibly?
    Ghee is almost pure milk fat, the stuff people have problems with might be left in trace amounts. If your friend can handle a single drop of milk then ghee probably is fine.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    You could try substituting 1/4 cup of applesauce for each egg in the coconut pancake recipe; be warned, though, I've only used it in baking, never in stovetop cooking like pancakes so I can't vouch for the results. Ghee is butter that's had the water and milk solids cooked out, so depending on what your friend is reactive to, it might work (clarifying butter gets rid of both the lactose and casein). If it's a really extreme allergy I'd be a bit leery, though, just for safety's sake.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast