Thread: Nuts and stomach ache? page

skywalkrNCSU is offline Junior Member

Nuts and stomach ache?

Primal Fuel
    I have been having some terrible stomach pains lately that tend to occur in my lower abdomen area around my belly button and I can't quite figure out why. I can take an OTC antiacid like pepcid and it makes it feel better but I am more interested in figuring out why it hurts in the first place and fixing that rather than take medicine.

One thing that I have been eating during the entire time of my stomach pains are various nuts, mainly almonds, walnuts, and pecans. I have also eaten pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I used to eat these types of nuts all the time with no problem whatsoever but for the past week or so my stomach has just felt awful off and on and these are the only things I can think of that I have eaten consistently. I am trying to do control studies the best I can to see what causes the pain and what doesn't but so far I can't pin it on one thing.

Could these nuts/seeds cause stomach pain (granted that I am not allergic to them in the first place)? I have had them for a while but they do not seem to be rancid since they smell and taste fine.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    They can and they might just as well be the cause of the pains.
    Go read what Mark posted about seeds, they are rather high in omega 6.
    I would suggest avoiding the seeds and returning to just nuts.
    If you want some seeds, get flax seeds before pumpkin and sunflower.

Knarf is offline Junior Member
    Perhaps. Nuts do contain variable amounts of anti-nutrients. If you absolutely have to have nuts, try soaking them in warm water with a tbsp of salt. Type "soaking nuts" on Mark's Daily Apple to get the specifics. If soaked nuts still give you issues, maybe try a month without them? I find once one stops, it can become a very "sparingly" sort of deal...but it can vary from person to person.

Nanzi is offline Senior Member
    When I first started PB I odered 2 lbs of Macadamias, which I love, and finally had a good reason to order. I ate a small handfull every aftn
    and about halfway thru the 2 lbs I realized they were giving me a small 'bellyache'. I was so sad, now that I had a reason to eat them,
    they weren't a good choice for me.
    I haven't tried other nuts in place of them in the aftn, as I have little hunger between meals. Guess this is a more common thing than I
    had thought.

skywalkrNCSU is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I threw out all the nuts I had in the pantry because I am pretty much too scared to try and eat them again. I am hoping it was just a bad batch and after a week or two of not eating any I am going to try some new ones to see if they give me any trouble.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    As of Sunday I will no longer eat Nuts... (
    Sad face because I have lived off 60 pounds of nuts in 2 months.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are very high in lectins which can cause GI problems. Nuts were a nice convenience/fast food for me in the first 6-8 months of primal - but I started getting pretty bad stomach aches from them so that had to go. I was bummed, but the stomach aches went away. As a bonus, the seborrhea/psoriasis on my scalp improved dramatically at the same time.