Thread: How long does coconut oil last? page

dprest is offline Junior Member

How long does coconut oil last?

Primal Fuel
    I wanted to inquire how long coconut oil lasts. I bought a couple gallons (both regular and virgin) from tropical traditions about a year ago. I know that coconut oil should be stored in cool dark place - well, I live in TX and it can only be kept so cool even indoors.

On a second note, are there any recommendations on how to use a greater volume this oil in food products. I cook with it often but I only need so much. I thought about making a bulk amount of primal granola bars with the oil and freezing them, I would appreciate your suggestions. Best regards.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    From the tropical traditions website:

5. Does Coconut Oil need to be kept in the refrigerator, and how long does it last?

No, coconut oil does not need to be kept in the refrigerator. In the Philippines and other tropical climates, where the ambient air temperature is much higher than North America, people traditionally have not refrigerated coconut oil. Virgin Coconut oil is very stable since it is unrefined and mostly saturated. The expiration dates on our Virgin Coconut Oils are for two years, and on our Expeller-pressed coconut oils they are 18 months, but they will usually be fine much longer than the expiration dates. We do recommend you store the oil out of direct sunlight. In the tropics coconut oil is almost always a liquid, since it’s melting point is about 76 degrees F. In North America it will usually be a solid, butter-like consistency. It can be stored in either form.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Tropical Traditions

Google. It's your friend ;-)

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    It keeps for a very very long time. Regarding usage, we use it as our sole skin product at my house, which gets us through a good amount. Not really an answer to how to use it in more food products, but just an idea
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    From the tropical traditions website:

5. Does Coconut Oil need to be kept in the refrigerator, and how long does it last?

No, coconut oil does not need to be kept in the refrigerator. In the Philippines and other tropical climates, where the ambient air temperature is much higher than North America, people traditionally have not refrigerated coconut oil. Virgin Coconut oil is very stable since it is unrefined and mostly saturated. The expiration dates on our Virgin Coconut Oils are for two years, and on our Expeller-pressed coconut oils they are 18 months, but they will usually be fine much longer than the expiration dates. We do recommend you store the oil out of direct sunlight. In the tropics coconut oil is almost always a liquid, since it’s melting point is about 76 degrees F. In North America it will usually be a solid, butter-like consistency. It can be stored in either form.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Tropical Traditions

Google. It's your friend ;-)
    Regarding the googling, my new favorite thing...Let me google that for you
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

dprest is offline Junior Member

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback. I should have stated that I did read the tropical tradtions website and did google this topic. However, I never fully trust a provider and wanted to tap into the minds of the Paleo community - as they are often those who are truly most knowledgeable on such topics.

innadoom is offline Member
    I read somewhere coco oil is good for about a year. In any case it stays "fresh" longer than most oils, no reason it would last you a year anyways, right?

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Drink a shot a day and it will disappear!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use it on my skin both in the shower and after, that would help?