Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is quinoa? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I know it's not primal and I understand that it's high in carbs and whatnot, but that's not what I'm concerned about. Is it as bad as other grains in terms of anti-nutrients? From what I know, it is at least very digestible.

Thanks.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

fuhcq2 is offline Junior Member

i personally did an experiment and they made me very sick and constipated....but i was overdoing it on purpose...I experiment a lot. If it makes you happy its a better choice than soda or other junk obviously. I personally feel better with no grains at all. Just try to figure out what works for you. If it doen&#39;t seem to spike your blood sugar as much as others it might be a good alternative.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

I&#39;ve read that is is the least toxic of the grains even though quinoa is actually not a grain. It is high in carbs, provides "complete" protein, and vitamins and minerals but does have some anti-nutrients and whatnot.

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is why you want to eat it? For the carbs, for the protein?, or for the vitamins and minerals? or for some other reason?

There are other foods that can provide your needed nutrients without the anti-nutrients of quinoa.

I suppose once you ask yourself why you want to eat quinoa? Then you may better access the risk vs benefit of eating it.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

For the carbs. The complete proteins are a plus, but I don&#39;t really rely on plants for it.

And it&#39;s practical. It&#39;s affordable, doesn&#39;t go bad so I can buy it in bulk, easy to sprout, easy to cook, tastes good...

What are the risks of eating such innocent looking seed or grain or whatever it is?

Asturian is offline Senior Member

As I understand it, main issues are the carbs and phytic acid.

Since carbs are not the issue for you, the phytic acid can be mitigated by soaking for several hours (if that is what you consider easy to cook).

If carbs are what you are after, potatoes may be a better alternative and if you go with sweet potatoes you get some vitamins and minerals thrown in for free. And they are affordable, don&#39;t go bad easily so you could buy in bulk, easy to cook (since you don&#39;t have to soak), and taste good too

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I was told that it was the "least evil" of the grains/seeds.

I&#39;d suggest soaking or sprouting it though.

Spuds spoil easier than grains though - or at least they do in my house!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Search the site, Raphael. Mark has addressed this, as have forum posters.

Long story short is that quinoa is a grain, even if not of the "real" grain family taxonomically. Like buckwheat.

Insofar as Grokking it, it&#39;s no different than other grains except it has complete protein. All the carbs, lectins, and Omega 6&#39;s.

Yeah I do soak it for 24 hours at least. It sprouts very quickly. I eat lots of sweet potatoes too. =] That, quinoa and banana are my carb staples.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Question: If you take the quinoa and sprout it, then eat the sprouts is it then okay to eat? Is it now considered a plant? I figure if Raphael is doin it its probably okay. So does the conversion from seed to sprout remove all the antinutrients and phytic acid etc?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I&#39;m also curious about sprouting! I used to love sprouts in my salad.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast