Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is birth control paleo/primal? page

paleoberg Guest

I know all about every single method of birth control in existence... including non-hormonal methods like paraguard and natural family planning. This question isn't about that.

I've been thinking about the fact that being primal/paleo is all about getting your hormones and insulin in check. I don't want to be on any medications, but the one I am on and can't seem to let go of is hormonal birth control. It seems contradictory to living primally. So I think I am gonna stop after many years of using synthetic hormones. Has anyone else done this since going primal/paleo?

I never have seen anyone address this topic directly. Any insights, ideas, or experiences would be appreciated.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It's been brought up a few times, though it's been a little while since it's it has.

Personally, I'm on depo and I don't plan on going off it any time soon. It's one part of modern life I don't care to give up.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

fertility awareness/natural family planning are or can be paleo/primal, and some types of herbal birth control and abortifacients, but not anything else.

paleoberg Guest

well paraguard (the copper iud) is non-hormonal, so that could be paleo too - no?

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Edited to add: re-reading your question, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so I apologize for not answering it! We decided before going Primal to stop using hormone-based contraceptives. I had my Mirena removed, and was amazed to discover that a few nagging little health issues disappeared. So much for the hormones not getting into my bloodstream! For a while we used FAM to avoid, but once we were certain we were done having kids, DH had a vasectomy. Perhaps that's not Primal either, but we decided it was the best option.

If I needed contraception right now, and didn't want to bother with FAM, I'd probably try the Paraguard. One drawback of IUDs is that they aren't generally recommended for women who haven't had children yet, because the risk of spontaneous IUD expulsion is higher.

I did use FAM successfully for several years, both to conceive and to avoid conception. If done correctly and carefully, it is extremely effective, despite public perception. The method involves charting waking temperatures and the quality of cervical fluid, both of which change dramatically over the course of the menstrual cycle. During days of predicted high fertility, you must either abstain or use a barrier method.

Anyone interested in FAM should read Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Own Fertility. It is a fantastic reference.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I just got the Mirena and so far, so good. I know its really low hormone, buuuut a hormone is a hormone. Its b/c I cant use pills and for endometriosis risk (runs in the fam and I have risk factors). It bugs me a little that my body is getting these hormones, but when compared to the reeediculous side effects of pills (for me) and the cramps and the endometriosis and the risk of actually getting knocked up and what to do about it... well the benefits outweigh the risks for me.

BUT to answer your orginal Q... I think that hormonal BC wouldnt be primal. But then again, the whole family setup is a little different for modern women than it was for the Grokettes.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

or you can engage in alternative sexual practices. i do wonder why nobody ever brings that up re: dealing with the fertile window without abstaining. but nobody ever does.

although it neatly solves both the abstinence and barrier method difficulties.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Having been on it and been off it, I definitely would prefer to avoid those hormones... my body seems much happier OFF.

But my body is also pregnant now, so take that as you will. hahahaha.

After I have this baby I think I might try a low-hormone IUD. I do not want to have to have lots of synthetic hormones floating around in me again, but I also want to wait a couple years (or have the option to) before having another baby.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I think we're all getting a wee bit too specific on focusing on the methods of contraception rather than the idea. Yes, I think that determining how many children you want (or don't), and the spacing thereof is absolutely paleo/primal. I used to know a bit better, but there are tons of roots/herbs/etc that could be used for contraception and abortion. I have no doubt that paleo women used whatever methods they had available to them just as we do. In fact, I read an article a while back about a plant used in ancient greece that was such an effective contraception it's not extinct due to overuse.

Not to mention one of the best contraceptives to them was having a child and breastfeeding for quite a long time, 2-4 years.

I also agree with fbw highly. But, with the stipulation that a lot of women's cycles, especially with a high-carb diet are going to be disturbed. It would be harder to track which days you could and could not.

That being said, I've been sterile since I was 24. Sure, surgery isn't exactly paleo, but then again, you can make the case that western medicine does not have a monopoly on surgery. There have been records of trepanation (sp?) found in primitive societies even 15,000 years back. So who's to say? Grok wasn't any less intelligent than we are, I'm sure if that were a value to him, he would find a way to do it. (Contraception/population control that is)

lcme is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The fertility of Grokette would have been kept in check by the availability of nutrients and how much they moved around. It is also possible that they used some herbs as well.

The short answer is essentially that it is not primal and I find, like others in this post, that I feel better when I am not on hormonal birth control.

I think that more primal = less hormones.

If you have had a child then I believe that you should be eligible for a paraguard IUD. Other than that it's just condoms that are non-hormonal.

I hope that helps a bit.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast