Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: BulletProof Coffee page 37

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot of people are confused about the purpose and the effects of the BP intermittent fasting, but he goes into detail about it at The Bulletproof Executive - the original website for it.

Basically, it primes your "mTOR" mechanisms; the coffee kicks up your metabolism, the butter gives you energy, and the MCT oil kicks up your metabolism. The purpose of BP IF *IS* fat loss. It has helped me break my fat-loss plateau in under a week. So for those worried about gaining weight on it, it's nearly impossible if you're eating right.

Also, the MCT oil is important... coconut oil is 50%MCT. This is pure MCT. The purpose of using this, no heavy cream, no sugar, is so that you can PRIME your fat burning! It also gives you a nice mental kick.

So, follow the bulletproof recipe exactly for the most prime results:

Coffee
    2 TBS butter
    2 TBS MCT oil

That is all.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

dana_leigh is offline Senior Member
    i'm about to order some MCT oil because i just moved and can no longer find it locally. i wanted to order the recommended brand (Dr. Bernd Friedlander's MCT oil) but am thinking about opting for Now Foods Mct 100% Oil simply because it is sold in a glass rather than plastic bottle. i dislike using anything stored in plastic or cans generally, but especially fats and oils. on the other hand, Dr. Bernd's brand is touted as far more potent than the others....any thoughts? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dana_leigh View Post
    i'm about to order some MCT oil because i just moved and can no longer find it locally. i wanted to order the recommended brand (Dr. Bernd Friedlander's MCT oil) but am thinking about opting for Now Foods Mct 100% Oil simply because it is sold in a glass rather than plastic bottle. i dislike using anything stored in plastic or cans generally, but especially fats and oils. on the other hand, Dr. Bernd's brand is touted as far more potent than the others....any thoughts? thanks!
    I use the Now Foods MCT oil. It's great. As far as potency goes, I'm unaware of the brand comparisons. The Now Foods MCT is fairly inexpensive, though. Gets the job done, no complaints.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I think I've been negating any positive effects of this with my nightly sweet potato. I made myself jump on the scale this morning and there's a significant increase compared to what I was in December, and I can't quite fit into my black jeans anymore.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilla View Post
    I think a lot of people are confused about the purpose and the effects of the BP intermittent fasting, but he goes into detail about it at The Bulletproof Executive - the original website for it.

Basically, it primes your "mTOR" mechanisms; the coffee kicks up your metabolism, the butter gives you energy, and the MCT oil kicks up your metabolism. The purpose of BP IF *IS* fat loss. It has helped me break my fat-loss plateau in under a week. So for those worried about gaining weight on it, it's nearly impossible if you're eating right.

Also, the MCT oil is important... coconut oil is 50%MCT. This is pure MCT. The purpose of using this, no heavy cream, no sugar, is so that you can PRIME your fat burning! It also gives you a nice mental kick.

Coffee
    2 TBS butter
    2 TBS MCT oil

That is all.
    One note worth adding is that the proposed mechanism for this is that one's fat/sugar burning ratio is determined in part by insulin/blood glucose levels - this happens to trend more towards fat burning the longer you fast. Part of the premise behind using pure fats(as opposed to cream, which contains some low level of protein and carbs) is that there's no associated insulin/blood sugar response, and as a result the body maintains its fat-burning metabolism charactaristic of the fasted state. Anything that produces an insulin reponse would blunt this effect somewhat(at least in theory).

The butter really is just a fat source that happens to be delicious, and could be replaced by another good fat source with the same effect, so long as no carbohydrates or protein are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    One note worth adding is that the proposed mechanism for this is that one's fat/sugar burning ratio is determined in part by insulin/blood glucose levels - this happens to trend more towards fat burning the longer you fast. Part of the premise behind using pure fats(as opposed to cream, which contains some low level of protein and carbs) is that there's no associated insulin/blood sugar response, and as a result the body maintains its fat-burning metabolism charactaristic of the fasted state. Anything that produces an insulin reponse would blunt this effect somewhat(at least in theory).

The butter really is just a fat source that happens to be delicious, and could be replaced by another good fat source with the same effect, so long as no carbohydrates or protein are involved.
    well said. thanks.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    The bulletproof coffee seems to help me get through a plateau as well Love it. Every morning. I haven't even been using the MCT oil in mine (haven't purchased any yet) but I have nutiva coconut oil and I usually take a tiny bit of that separately (just don't like the coconut flavor in my coffee) but for sure if you aren't used to eating a lot of fat or that much fat at one time, do build up slowly. If I had come along and put in 2 TB of butter and 2 TB of MCT oil in my coffee first off I can almost guarantee it wouldn't have been pretty. (speaking from experience, my first tub of coconut oil which I got last year, I immediately on the first day took WAYYYY too much...it was definitely a cleansing experience but not one I wish to repeat. So nothing wrong with starting out and building up gradually) Just a word of caution and one I wish I had read before I went hog wild LOL

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilla View Post

Coffee
    2 TBS butter
    2 TBS MCT oil

That is all.
    Does MCT oil taste worse than coconut oil? As if a lot of coconut oil didn't taste bad enough already?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This week I've been using the BPC to get me through the slopes w/o stopping for lunch... I'm having a BAB + 2 cups of BPC and I'm not hungry until close to 6pm-7pm, and bkfst is around 7:30-8am

So I'm spending more time on the slopes, and the only stops are for water and bathroom breaks
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast