Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: butter vs ghee page

maxshralp is offline Junior Member

butter vs ghee

are there any benefits to grass fed butter instead of grass fed ghee? im eager to know.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Vit K2? I'm off dairy, so only ghee for me.

maxshralp is offline Junior Member
    i thought they both have k2

rabraham2 is offline Senior Member
    noob here....what is ghee?
    A rose by any other name.

raney is offline Senior Member
    I've read (uncorroborated) statements that a percentage of the cholesterol in ghee may be oxidized by the heat introduced during the skimming process. You also have to consider that 30% of butterfat is unsaturated (albeit mostly MUFA), so also potentially oxidizable.

Otherwise, I think k2 levels are fairly consistent (15mcg / 100g serving) in pastured butter, which should carry over to the ghee in whole, as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

In short, I'd say no; you get the potential allergens of trace amounts of casein and lactose in butter, without any real benefits that aren't imparted to ghee. Butter sure is tasty though.
    Last edited by raney; 01-16-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabraham2 View Post
    noob here....what is ghee?
    Clarified butter... no casein or lactose.

rabraham2 is offline Senior Member
    ah. interesting. I didn't know that...maybe i did....might have heard it mentioned on "How It's Made" or the food network....i can't remember. But thanks for answering my question!
    A rose by any other name.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member

another butter v ghee question

i've had a strange experience and i'm curious if i'm the only one
    ghee upsets my stomach (bloating and sort of a sloshy liquid feeling), and so does conventional butter (the same), but the kerrygold grassfed seems to be just fine.

for the life of me I can't reason why, but if it's something systemic I'd like to know the cause... ideas?
    thanks all!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Is there benefits to butter vs ghee?

Well, ghee is more heat stable, it's pretty much non-dairy at this point so suitable to those intolerant to lactose or casein, it won't generate much of an insulin response unlike butter and since the milk solids are removed it's therefore less inflammatory.

But butter tastes better. At least IMO. It's rich and spreadable, unlike ghee. That makes it more versatile. Butter is more than just a cooking fat. Ghee to me is just a cooking oil.

I would give up ghee before I gave up butter. Butter is a cooking fat, a flavor, a topping and a sauce. The creaminess and richness is lost once converted into ghee. I still like ghee - it's very flavorful compared to most oils - but it's no butter.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed with Chocotaco - it's better for higher temp cooking. I use it in place of where I once upon a time used veggie oil (shudder) to fry - if that helps.

I like ghee IN things but I don't use it as a condiment. Butter is better for spreading, sauces etc but on the other hand, in my opinion ghee lends better depth of flavor when it's incorporated into something very savory. I like to sautee with it. But if I'm going to try and add flavor by putting a pat of one or the other on veggies or steak - I'm a butter girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast