Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pan fry fish without "breading"? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Anyone pan fry fish without "breading"?

Shop Now
    I've seen some paleo/low carb pan fried fish recipes that use coconut flour or almond flour or crushed pork rinds as breading. But does anyone just throw the fish into the pan and fry it naked? (The fish is naked, not the cook! lol) I prefer my fish fried because, well... I really don't like fish, but the little bit of extra crispiness from frying makes it easier for me to stomach.

If so, any tips/hints/suggestions?

I have a couple of flounder fillets and was thinking about just frying them in butter and then dusting them with dried dill. Any other ideas?
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i pan fry steak in coconut oil without breading, cant see why it would be different. never tried it though

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fish fried on medium heat with butter is excellent. Flounder is a good choice for it. Personally, I wouldn't fry until crisp as I prefer my fish moist. You'll find it has a milder taste too
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    i fry fish all the time without batter, but not to make it crispy, it will go rubbery in the pan.

There are loads of recipes on the net about frying fish its not hard to find other suggestions, but if you want crispy and fried fish, this is how the thai do it and it awesome!

I believe its whole fish deep fried for ages. (You will have to choose a better oil than them though lol)
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It can stick and flake/break up.

I find it works best with skin on, fry it on a moderate heat skin side down until the skin is crispy enough not to stick; then flip.

Or How to saute and pan sear fish - YouTube

Kelly Barr is offline Member
    We usually do not use breading at all. Hot Oil and flash fry, make sure u dry the fish first as it will crisp up way better....

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Salmon or trout fillets fried in butter or coconut oil are awesome.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

beastie is offline Member
    I pan fry fish without any breading all the time. I use a couple tbsps of butter, to prevent any sticking. Coconut oil or lard would also work.
    Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
    www.forgottendomesticarts.com

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I always fry my fish with no flour or anything. Just lard, in a cast iron pan. Works really well...

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    We eat naked fish, too. I prefer it this way. Just add a little bit salt and pepper, and maybe some lemon juice (just before eating).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast