Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects?

Primal Fuel
    Hi. After reading lots of good things about DE, I ordered some food grade and started taking 2 teaspoons mixed with water in the morning and 2 in the evening, on an empty stomach. I was waiting to see all the marvellous benefits - but after a few days I started having blood with BM's. And an ache in my gut. So - I stopped taking it and after a few days all is back to normal.

Now, this could be a coincidence. Or it could be as a result of taking ~DE at all.

Does other people here use it? Have you had these side effects? When is the best time to take it - with food, after food, or as I did, on an empty stomach?

I am slightly apprehensive of trying again, in case it was actually damaging my gut, - but would like to see my hair growing thicker again!!!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Never knew it could be ingested. Anyway, I found this webpage regarding DE, might consider trying it myself.

Diatomaceous Earth Human Use, Natural Health Benefits, and Information for Humans

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    The blood in your stool - red? If so, you have a hemorrhoid. Gut ache? Probably the bad bacteria and yeast dying. I've been taking it for 4 months now. It did make me a little constipated at first (and hemorrhoids), but things settled down after a couple of weeks. You need to be taking a good probiotic (Primal Flora) with it, as it will replace the dying crap in your gut as the DE chews up the yeasts and bad bacteria. Itake a tablespoon every morning in a bottled water with a crystal light flavor packet.
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    ahhhh! i just got my paws on some of this stuff from a friend.

ooo, I didn't know that it helped with yeasts. good to know

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I've always used it for about 30 days in a row a year. I am around large and small animals all the time, and it's supposed to get rid of excess parasites. Don't seem to have any, but it seemed like a good idea. As a vegetarian, I just felt clean using it -- with smooth poop. This time, as PB, I just feel cemented inside and am going off for the moment (after a week of it). Funny thought I had -- maybe it's a carb with a sugar effect. Well, it doesn't seem like a protein or fat. But blood doesn't sound good. Did you try getting online. It does remove all kinds of toxins, but blood sounds a bit like "I better get more information on this." Some people use it to get rid of stored drugs, so maybe the effect is different. Not at all saying you use drugs :-) -- just trying to imagine why you might have blood. Maybe it's unrelated. I would check further. Oh, I always take 1 1/3 tablespoon mixed in warm water on an empty stomach in the a.m. and then have the same amount without water during dinner. Good luck. There's always something new while working on our health, yes?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    The blood in your stool - red? If so, you have a hemorrhoid. Gut ache? Probably the bad bacteria and yeast dying. I've been taking it for 4 months now. It did make me a little constipated at first (and hemorrhoids), but things settled down after a couple of weeks. You need to be taking a good probiotic (Primal Flora) with it, as it will replace the dying crap in your gut as the DE chews up the yeasts and bad bacteria. Itake a tablespoon every morning in a bottled water with a crystal light flavor packet.

Yes, red.This is what I thought, local haemorrhoid. Good idea about probiotics too. I'll get some more sauerkraut on the go too. But I'm going to leave a 2 week gap before trying more DE.

Crista NyWeller is offline Junior Member
    I think you started out taking too much and without anything to help it along. The suggestions to add a good LIVE Acidophilous product is a good one. Earthworks offers a product made to add to pet food, (Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Human Side Effects-Health Use) and it contains supporting nutrients and acidophilous - but any pro-biotic that is not kept in the fridge is not fully alive.
    Rather than taking it on an empty stomach with only water - try adding it to a fruit smoothy or quality yogurt shake that includes also pro-biotics, a 1/4 teaspoon of benonite clay and applesauce. I also add an Omega 3 oil like flax, hemp, or the like.

Paleobird Guest
    It's. Sand. Why. Are. You. Eating. Sand?

smh

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It's. Sand. Why. Are. You. Eating. Sand?

smh
    I think it is actually, ground up sea shells. We give food grade to our dog with his meals. It helps with parasites and fleas. It has lots of great uses.

For the OP the reason it kills parasites etc, is it has shards of shells, small...but still. My guess is the blood was from the shards going through your system unassisted. When it goes away, try again with food of some sort.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    I think it is actually, ground up sea shells. We give food grade to our dog with his meals. It helps with parasites and fleas. It has lots of great uses.

For the OP the reason it kills parasites etc, is it has shards of shells, small...but still. My guess is the blood was from the shards going through your system unassisted. When it goes away, try again with food of some sort.
    No. It's silica. AKA sand.

Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast