Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Paleo "tortilla"? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Is there a Paleo "tortilla"?

Shop Now
    One of the biggest obstacles for me to go primal was the idea of giving up Mexican food. I LOVE Mexican food! The idea of never having a burrito or taco again makes me sad. Is there a way to make a corn tortilla equivalent with acceptable ingredients? Almond flour? Coconut flour? Or??? I'm new to eating this way so I haven't tried making any flour-like foods with primal ingredients.

parakeet is offline Member
    Replacement food doesn't really work very well for me. I think it's because nothing really compares to the real thing. It's nice to have a "food holder" that works like a tortilla, though. A couple of things I have used in the past are romaine lettuce leaves or spring roll rice paper. When I've used the spring roll rice paper, I fill them with whatever filling I'm using, roll them up burrito style, spritz with a little fat of some kind and pop them under the broiler to crisp them up a little. Lettuce leaves we just fill and eat.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    try a lettuce leaf, that works great.

otherwise, just get an organic sprouted corn tortilla--that shit's good and it won't kill ya
    Last edited by JennaRose; 02-28-2012 at 04:23 PM.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    One of the biggest obstacles for me to go primal was the idea of giving up Mexican food. I LOVE Mexican food! The idea of never having a burrito or taco again makes me sad. Is there a way to make a corn tortilla equivalent with acceptable ingredients? Almond flour? Coconut flour? Or??? I'm new to eating this way so I haven't tried making any flour-like foods with primal ingredients.
    Tapioca starch / flour (called both, former usually cheaper) mixed w/ eggs and water cooked on one of those old-fashioned crepe appliances that look like inverted bowl. Don't have ratios as they were given to me, but freeze well and work like thin flour tortillas with little flavor--but could be flavored w/ cumin, etc. I should think. . .

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i feel your pain. I loved eating my cheesy corn tortilla snack. But i just don't eat it anymore. It's a lifestyle change. Just eat in a bowl the stuff you wanted in a tortilla. Most tortillas really suck when they're plain, you should eat one plain & savor its cardboard flavor. Then you won't want it so bad.

however, all that said, about once every 3 mos or so, i make some freaking kickass chicken or beef enchiladas, with my own homemade hatch chile/tomatillo sauce. I buy the WF corn tortillas, which actually taste like corn. I know it's not "primal" but i don't care. I am a total failure at making egg crepes and whatever substitutes. I just have the real corn tortillas once in a great while & enjoy it.

i don't really crave tortillas anymore like i used to and i'm so glad!

MariluChester is offline Junior Member
    I think it's because nothing really compares to the real thing.

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    coconut flour tortillas

terrific tortillas (almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch)

there are more out there...i just did a google search for:
    paleo tortillas

for me i can't think in terms of "omg i can never ever ever have that again" and chances are i may not want to....i can literally SMELL the ick in other food....someone pulled out a piece of bread and my first thought was "omg...is that rotten?" (it wasn't) LOL

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hottierockstar View Post
    someone pulled out a piece of bread and my first thought was "omg...is that rotten?" (it wasn't) LOL
    my mom had assorted crackers out the other day with some dips. I had one, but the cracker was so horrible i almost spit it out. it tasted like rancid oil or chemicals or something. no one else seemed to notice...

RennieVan is offline Member
    DH and I made the egg tortillas once and he thought they were great. I thought they were gross! We have been using lettuce leaves too, but I have a hard time finding ones that are the right shape to roll things in. Since I don't really feel like buying lettuce just for that, my Mexican cooking nights are few and far between.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    We've enjoyed all our old Mexican food with large Cos lettuce leaves - strong, flexible and perfectly good as wraps.

Getting to the very edge of paleo and just stepping over, I think, I've had some success with sorghum flour, which I think is gluten-free. Sorghum is actually a seed, and when ground makes a flour. It's not paleo in a strict sense, or in spirit, but it is by no means as bad as wheat flour or corn.

leaving the ice age: Sorghum Flatbread

These make good tortilla or chapatti.

I have read about people having some success with manioc flour, which is a starch from the cassava root. Have a search around and you'll find something. Dr Bork Bork's posts might be a good place to start - she's the resident paleo kitchen mad scientist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast